How to Care for Your Teeth When You Have Braces | Upper Kirby Dentist
Orthodontic appliances like braces are used to correct alignment of teeth and jawbone. Some may need to wear it for a few months while others need to wear it for years. Since these are foreign objects, it can pose complications when proper care is not observed diligently. The patient may develop infection and sores and could even have plaque build up which can lead to more complications later on.
That is why extra effort must be taken to keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy while wearing braces. Though it is not easy to do and can be a challenge at first, a Houston cosmetic dentist can guide you on the right way to brush and floss your teeth.
Here are some tips on brushing and flossing:
- Give it time. Normal brushing may only take a minute but brushing with braces on requires smaller, circular strokes and more time to do so. Don’t rush. Slow is better!
- Use a small amount of toothpaste.
- Make sure that you brush each and every tooth. Brush upper teeth from the gum line down and lower teeth from the gum line up.
- Floss once a day. Brush three times a day. Scrub your tongue as well as the roof of your mouth. This will help keep your mouth clean.
- Use a floss threader for easy maneuvering. Ask your dentist to demonstrate how to floss properly so you can do it right at home.
The mouth is full of bacteria and acid that can easily affect oral health. If you noticed swollen gums, unusual redness along the gum line, plaque and gum bleeds easily while brushing and flossing, let your dentist in Houston area know right away.Your braces may need to be adjusted or your dental habits may need some tweaking to accommodate your current situation. Happy brushing!